BOUND: Art Book + Zine Fair at MOCA Cleveland
Saturday, August 27, 2016 / 11:00am — 5:00pm
Now in its second year, BOUND: Art Book + Zine Fair brings together the most creative zinesters, comic creators, photomakers, and independent publishers to share and sell their work. In addition, BOUND will include live music, DJ sets, workshops, and artist talks.
In the spirit of Mark Mothersbaugh’s MYOPIA Exhibition, which embodies an alternative legacy of underground and DIY culture, BOUND draws inspiration from Beat Generation writers (1950s-60s) whose radical, experimental work was rejected and ignore by mainstream literary magazines. With the help of the mimeograph (a predecessor of the copy machine), writers quickly and cheaply printed their work in magazines (“zines”). Early zines often included original or appropriated text and images and covered topics like poetry, politics, art, or autobiography. Surrounded by these influences while an art student at Kent State University, Mothersbaugh self-published My Struggle, Booji Boy in 1977, a 300-page, illustrated art book that was part zine, part Dadaist-surrealist memoir. Today, zines and artist books are a relevant and critical platform for experimental art forms and expressions.
BOUND: Art Book + Zine Fair is free + open to all. $5 admission for access to MOCA exhibitions. Free for MOCA members. MOCA Cleveland is located at 11400 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44106.
FRIDAY NIGHT SCHEDULE (5-10PM)
- 5:00PM – 10:00PM | Visit BOUND exhibitors
- 8:00PM – 10:00PM | LOADED Concert | LOADED is a free experimental music concert series that occurs on MOCA’s loading dock. On this night, bands include headliners Form A Log, HIRAM-MAXIM, and Fake Species.
SATURDAY SCHEDULE (11AM-5PM)
- 11:00AM – 5:00PM | Visit BOUND exhibitors (featuring WCSB-FM DJs spinning vinyl all day. DJs include DJ Hama, DJ Quinn, and Scary Ellen)
- 11:30AM – 12:15PM | Aesthetics of Resistance: Dada 100 Years On (a presentation by Joseph Makkos of NOLA DNA)
- 12:00PM – 3:00PM | Open Art Studio
- 12:45PM – 1:30PM | Independent Voices + Handmade Zines on a Budget Part 1 (a lecture + discussion by Jacob Koestler of My Idea of Fun + Anna Tararova of Meowville)
- 1:30PM – 2:15PM | Independent Voices + Handmade Zines on a Budget Part 2 (a workshop by Jacob Koestler of My Idea of Fun + Anna Tararova of Meowville)
- 2:30PM – 3:30PM | Empowering Marginalized Communities Through Zines (a panel discussion featuring Jimmy Lewis of Fag Enabler, Angel Cezanne of Eleanor: A Zine, RA Washington of Guide to Kulchur; and poet/educator/consultant M. Carmen Lane)
- 3:30PM – 5:00PM | Comic Book Reading with Caitlin Cass of Great Moments in Western Civilization, John Greiner of Shiner Comics, and Kyle Osborne of Shquirat)
- 8:00PM – 2:00AM | BOUND After-Party at the Grog Shop with Mourning A BLKstar, Hybrid Shakedown, and Wildlife Soundz
(curated by TR Ericsson)
As of August 15, 2016. Exhibitor list is subject to change.